Sleep apnea is a medical condition that affects millions of people all over the world. What is it? An occurrence where your throat muscles relax and block your airway, causing you to stop breathing for several seconds at a time. Sleep apnea ranges from mild to severe with varying forms. Getting treatment can help ease problems associated with this condition and prevent other health-related issues.
What are some complications caused by sleep apnea?
- Increased blood pressure
- Daytime sleepiness
- Unable to think clearly
- Poor work performance
- Glucose metabolism abnormalities
Are you looking for sleep apnea treatment in Pittsburgh? Although there is no cure for sleep apnea, the following treatments can help you avoid major issues.
- Oral applications like mouth guards
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machine
- Diet and lifestyle modifications
Your entire body is affected by what you consume. If you choose to alter your diet to help lessen your sleep apnea, then consider eating the following foods:
- Whole Grains
- Olive Oil
How do these essential food items help alleviate problems associated with sleep apnea?
Many of these foods are rich in melatonin which is known to help you sleep better. Tryptophan is used by your body to make melatonin and can also be found in many of these foods. Calcium contributes to building your melatonin levels and can be found in soybeans, sardines, and a variety of leafy greens.
Inflammation has been linked to sleep apnea. Patients with severe sleep apnea tend to have more inflammation in their bodies. Spices like turmeric and cinnamon have anti-inflammatory properties and could reduce the pain and discomfort caused by inflammation. Adding some of these spices into your diet is as simple as mixing them into your favourite recipe.
You should try to avoid these specific foods and drinks to aid in getting a good night’s sleep:
- Dairy can increase your mucus production and cause you to gain weight, both of which can cause an increase in sleep apnea
- Caffeinated drinks can keep you up all night due to the stimulating effect
- Alcohol relaxes your muscles and can interfere with a good night’s rest
- Meats high in saturated fats, which cause inflammation throughout your body, leading to cardiovascular issues and are a big risk if you have sleep apnea
- Refined carbohydrates and deep-fried foods can cause you to gain weight, and weight gain is known to be a culprit of sleep apnea
You can get sleep apnea treatment in Wexford. Your dentist will have a range of treatment options and offer you advice on how to manage your symptoms. Some indications of sleep apnea are snoring, dry mouth, and morning headaches. Sleep apnea can lead to more serious health problems, so getting sleep apnea treatment in Pittsburgh is highly recommended.